On 21 August 2011 19:51, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:11:19 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:
>
> > On 20 August 2011 05:56, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Wait... what are those "pppx" connections? Where are they coming from?
> >> Are you using another device to get connected on Internet?
> >>

> > The only other device I've used is the borrowed XP laptop I used to set
> > up the modem in the first place. That was a wireless connection, even
> > though I plugged the cable in. I was just so glad to get a connection, I
> > let it go. Perhaps it's a hangover from that?
>
> You said you used another laptop with XP to test the connection with the
> router but that does not explain what are pppd connections doing in your
> linux box :-)
>
> (ppp are a different method to get a connection over Internet, nowadays
> mostly used for dial-up modems or USB DSL modems but I'm afraid that's
> not your case...)

Will check out /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-providers. Sounds like I might have
screwed something up in there.

> >> Can you explain how did you connect your windows computer to Internet?
> >> What steps did you follow? Maybe this way we can understand what is
> >> going on...
> >>

> > That's all there was.
> > Just the one machine, with a wireless config to set up the WAN, but with
> > the ethernet cable plugged in.
> > Possibly, with windows typical interference, it's configured the modem
> > with his account details and I'm getting free access? The pressure
> > builds. I've got to sort this out!
>
> It is still not clear what steps did you follow to get your XP laptop
> connected to the router :-?

Just the ethernet cable, that's all. The pop-up for the quick connect just
appeared on the screen. I didn't have to go looking for anything. Different
laptop, mainboard.

> > I took a look at dmesg to see what that could tell me about what was
> > going on.
> > First in the sequence I got this:
> >
> > [    2.129507] tg3 0000:02:0e.0: eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95705A50) rev
> > 3003] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) MAC address 00:15:60:c2:63:46
> > [    2.142802] tg3 0000:02:0e.0: eth0: attached PHY is 5705
> > (10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet) (WireSpeed[0])
>
> That's the normal log for a network card.
>
> > Which seems to suggest that the non-free Tygon firmware is involved. I
> > thought that was just for hard drives. Further down in the sequence I
> > get this:
> >
> > [  252.853480] tg3 0000:02:0e.0: eth0: Failed to load firmware
> > "tigon/tg3_tso5.bin"
>
> (...)
>
> The network card requires a firmware, you should download from non-free
> repos. Additional information here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

Further along in the sequence, eth0 and the firmware seem to connect up, so
I don't think there's a problem there.

> > And at last we arrive at this - and if it applies, I would have no idea.
> > I just wish they'd write this stuff in English.
>
> (...)
>
> That looks like the firewall log, nothing wrong nor nothing you should
> worry about :-)

O.K., thanks. So good to have constructive mentalities to talk to. Maybe
I'll be able to help you one day.
As you were saying, with eth0 and a cable, there's nothing much that can go
wrong, so with the disconnects, it looks like the problem is before that.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.