On 29 August 2011 13:05, D G Teed <donald.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Heddle Weaver
> <weaver2wo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>>  On 27 August 2011 11:41, D G Teed <donald.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I started another reply, and it had lots of steps to try to repair
>>> this situation, but then I rethought.
>>>
>>> If this is a fresh install, and you have no data to keep on the Debian
>>> system,
>>> here is a bulletproof solution:
>>>
>>> Reinstall.
>>>

>> This is the latest fashion.
>> It's not a new install, but I have my /home partition on an external 1TB
>> expansion drive, so inconvenience is minimal and the revision factor won't
>> hurt.
>>

> I suggested reinstall as it would be the quickest way to get rid
> of ppp daemon if you didn't know how to disable the service.
> But now that that mystery is resolved, no need to reinstall.
>
> Once ppp is gone, then set up DHCP to
> get your IP from the router on Debian system.
>
> This would be the entry in /etc/network/interfaces I mentioned before:
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Then reboot.  You are really not that far off from getting this up.

Well, I've actually done this, but I didn't have too much success.
Of course, I didn't give up trying.
Unfortunately, I think I tried too much and too far and that's about all I
have left in /etc/network/interfaces.

I thought I'd wait until I installed the new Debian config on the new,
secondhand PC.
I'm actually posting from that now.
So easy when you can access the interface.
Once I get a successful config on the new Debian install, I was going to try
copying the configuration over to the laptop.
I know I've deleted something on the laptop in the 'network' config that I
shouldn't have.
Doing it this way is the most constructive way to become more familiar with
things, I think.

Failing that, I'll do a new install on the laptop, but I think it'll be
alright.
Regards and thanks,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,