Allow me to join the choir :)

I actually had high hopes for some of the stuff. Integrating IM account
control in the top right menu is a great idea, and I like the way
notifications are presented. But empathy is possibly even worse than
Evolution, it won't connect to half of my accounts and "invisible" mode
still shows me online to my contacts.

If I login to Gnome3 in dual-screen mode, it immediately bails out with
"session gnome failed to start". If I start in single-screen mode and
then use xrandr to enable the second screen, Gnome freezes to the point
where only the mouse and Ctrl-Alt-Bksp still work. If I use the
system-settings control panel, the displays flicker and then it resets
to clone mode. Yay!

But the worst part is that gnome-settings-daemon won't keep its grubby
hands off my configuration. By default, even though I'm running
Enlightenment, it reconfigured mouse speed and keyboard even though
I've been fine with those settings for years. And now that I've touched
the xrandr system settings, I can no longer start g-s-d while in
Enlightenment because it f***s up my display settings...

Ralf Mardorf (ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net on 2011-11-11 23:51 +0100):
> Hahaha :D
>
> GNOME 3 what an odd DE.
> Missing features (weather, restart option etc.), Evolution doesn't
> work, because it can't connect to the network, it tries to force us
> to install pulseaudio, it completely breaks the workflow of sane
> users.
Empathy has a setting for that, maybe Evolution has too?
$ gsettings set org.gnome.Evolution use-conn false

> Before I run the upgrade I saved a backup of my GNOME 2 Debian. Is
> there the need to restore Debian from the backup, or is there a way
> to get back a usable DE, by editing GNOME 3?
Others have pointed out the fallback mode, but if I try that, X won't
start at all (can't find session gnome-fallback).

> Could it be, that Evolution isn't working anymore, because I didn't
> install pulseaudio, hence gnome-core couldn't be upgraded too?
Could be. Then again, Evolution working properly could also be a sign
of an impending apocalypse...

> I can't install pulseaudio, because this would break my DAW.
Join the club :)

You will get no sound in Gnome, but fear not, the most hideous beep at
gdm3 login is back!

> How can I get back a theme, window buttons etc.?
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'greybird'

You need to install xfwm or murrine-themes for that to work though. You
can use gnome-tweak-tool to restore window controls, but I've not yet
found the gsettings incantation for that.

> Even NumLock is disabled and the fonts are a PITA.
$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name 'DejaVu Sans 10'

Apparently you need to install numlockx to get your numlock powers
back...

> By default it's the ugliest DE I've ever seen in my life.
Not really, my gtk2 apps look even worse if I start them without
starting g-s-d.

Hope this helps (at the very least, venting always helps me ;)

Arno