On -10.01.-28163 20:59, Ramon Hofer wrote:

Btw: As you didn't write anything else hdparm should have no problem
spinning down sata drives?

Do you know if I can check the hdparm setting somewhere? Like hdparm -C
to show me the spindown setting?

It depends on the drive - there is hdparm -I /dev/<device> that offers a capability and a command feature section. From the looks at my output
(where hdparm -S <int> works alright) there is this option:

           *    Power Management feature set

Maybe this is mandatory for hdparm to work with your hardware, I'm not sure.

And do I have to restart the system or is it enough the do a /etc/init.d/
hdparm restart?

When I turn logging on, I only get lots of messages from the system drive
and not from any other. So it should work?

At least that's a good sign for drive access, another way to check it is to unmount the data drive(s) completely, then set sleep time to a minimum with hdparm -S <int> <drive> , then wait while monitoring syslog :-)

regards

Lou