On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:39:16 +0100, Lou wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:14:31 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>

>> Maybe this is important:
>> I use Squeeze, 2.6.32-5-amd64, hdparm v9.32, the drive sdc is a WDC
>> WD20EARS-00MVWB0 and the mainboard an ASUS P7P55D.
>>

> It's very good you mention this - the WD Green series is a pain in the
> ass for linux users ... please have a look at the following two postings
> about problems with the green series operating under linux:
>
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/WD_IntelliPark
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/479998#479998
>
> In order to avoid high load cycle counts it is highly recommended to
> disable intellipark using WDIDLE3.exe, after that your load cycle counts
> should not raise anymore and the traditional ata commands like hdparm -S
> /dev/<device> 6 should work again, thus switch off your green drive
> after 30 seconds (<int> is a multiple of 5 accdoring to the hdparm
> manpage)
>
> Please take care to only use capital "-S" parameter, not "-s" ...
> otherwise it could mess up the device firmware.

Thanks alot! Great infos!!!
I will try to fix the problem tomorrow.

Wasn't able to have a closer look at the links but it seems as if I had
to use Windows to run WDIDLE3.exe to change a firmware setting. I assume
I can do this on an other PC and then move the disc back to the server?

Thanks you again.

Do you have any advices about the Samsung drives in the mdadm raid? Can I
put them to sleep normally or do I have to tell mdadm that it has to spin
down the drives?

Cheers
Ramon