On 17/01/12 19:44, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
>>> <raju.mailingli...@gmail.com> Followup-To:
>>> gmane.linux.debian.user
>>
>> Which means debian-user list subscribers replying have remove
>> the:- CC: gmane.linux.debian.user
>
> But Followup-To is a news header not a mail header.

Yes.

> Why would a mail client react to it at all?  It is not normal for it
>  to be there at all for an email message.  It really should only be
> there on a news message.

Yes. Hence the request to stop sending it.

> Sure there is a lot of crossover but news is not mail and mail is not
> news.  I would hope that a news2mail gateway would strip that out.
> But being there doesn't seem like it should cause serious problem
> either.

If *you're* happy to clean up other people's posts *and* pay for the
news subscription - then it's not a problem for you.

> Followup-To != Mail-Followup-To.

Yes.

> If it were Mail-Followup-To, a defacto mail standard, then your mail
> client should react to it.  But not Followup-To.

No - you're not allowing for MUAs that also deal with news. (there are
more MUAs out there than just Mutt)

*If* a mail client is incapable of handling news *then* the mail client
would/should ignore it.

> It sounds like this is a bug in your Enigmail client if it is
> reacting badly to it being there.

It has nothing do with PGP. My Enigmail client is not reacting to it at
all (because it doesn't involve PGP).

It's because the OP had inadvertently put a news Followup into his post
to gmane (using Knode - which *is* a newsreader) - and it was then
relayed through to the list as email and reposted to subscribers.

> Bob

Read a little further in the thread and it should become clear.

Cheers