On 11 July 2012 21:13, Dr Beco <r...@beco.cc> wrote:

> Dear Linuxers,
>
> (about debian on Netbook Acer AO-722, BZ-893)
>
> Some days ago I've got an Asus Eee-PC 1215B and I had a lot of trouble
> to make wireless and cable to work. To the point I got near a deadline
> of 7 days before returning it to the store, and I decided to return
> it.
>
> I changed to an Acer Aspire One 722 BZ893, hoping it would work out of
> the box. I even got a live debian distro in a pendrive to boot there
> in the store, to be sure it would work.
>
> Well, it worked with wrong resolution, but ok. The internet (cable)
> was fine for a while. Then I brought it home.
>
> For some unknow reason, I discovered that the internet only work for a
> few moments, then it stops. That is eth0.
> For wlan0 never appear.
>
> In this rare moments of useful internet using my KDE live distro, now
> installed, I was able to install synaptic, update the apt-get, install
> wireless-tools, google-chrome, and some other basic stuff.
>
> Now I can't get any internet time anymore. I don't know why...
>
> eth0 simple doesn't get an IP address, and ifconfig doesn't show wlan0.
>
> I'm in kind of a deadline because I need to decide if I'll keep it and
> keep trying, or return it for good. I feel very frustrated and
> although you doesn't need to know, I could barely sleep this night
> because of this problem that is ruining my vacations and finances.
>
> Please, if someone would be kind to guide my step-by-step and make it
> work, or if someone knows for sure I better return and buy something
> else more "compatible", I'm all ears.
>

> Finished the history, now some tech info:
>

> lspci -nn gives (among other things):
>
> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device [1022:1510]
> 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device
> [1002:9807]
> 00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:1314]
> 00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Axalia (Intel
> HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 42)
> 06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0
> Fast Ethernet [1969:2062] (rev c1)
> 07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. Device
> [168c:0032] (rev 01)
>

> Audio is working ok. Just VGA, eth0 and wlan0 needs my attention. I
> even don't really care about HDMI or other things I can live without.
>
> A friend of mine gave me an old usb wireless adapter to help me out.
> It is a Netgear WPN111. But that doesn't work either.
>
> lsusb gives:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1385:5f01 Netgear, Inc WPN111 (no firmware)
>

> lsmod gives:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> powernow_k8            10978  0
> cpufreq_powersave        902  0
> parport_pc             18855  0
> cpufreq_conservative     5162  0
> ppdev                   5030  0
> cpufreq_stats           2740  0
> lp                      7462  0
> [...]
nice machine but, oh the trouble to get it working properly, (sound still
using wrong card, or some such).

Your ethernet should just work with almost all Linux distros OOB using
DHCP; I think there is a problem there.

Much as I like my troublesome machine, I advise you to take it back & get
something running Intel Atom with Intel graphics.

HTH

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux