On Jul 22, 2012, at 11:15 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

On Du, 22 iul 12, 19:28:35, Rick Thomas wrote:

If all the empty space is filled with something redundant (like,
zeroes?) then you can use almost any compress program (gzip comes to
mind...) and it will all be compressed out.

If the empty space is filled with random junk, it will depend on
just how "random" the junk is.

Does that help?

A compressor of course helps reduce the size a *lot* (it's only 368 MiB
gziped), but this introduces an additional step that I was trying to
avoid.

You can do it all in a shell "one liner" that does the compression on- the-fly. E.g. (assuming your SD card is on /dev/sdx, and you want to call your image "raspbian.img"):

    dd bs=1M if=/dev/sdx | gzip | dd bs=1M of=raspbian.img.gz

If the swap partition has been used, it will have "random" garbage in it. You may want to zero it out and re-initialize it before you create the image. That will give you maximum compression.

E.g. (again, assuming your SD card is on /dev/sdx, and the partition setup you gave in your previous email is still in effect):

    dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx2 count=256
    mkswap /dev/sdx2

Note, I don't have an Rpi and none of the above have been tested, so be careful.

I'll look at Colenzilla, but just creating the live USB is a pain[1] and
having to reboot each time I want to generate a new image is also not
something I look forward to :(

[1] http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

I don't think clonezilla will help. The wiki page [2], which tells people how to use these images, pretty much assumes that they were created exactly as I have described above.

[2] http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

Kind regards,
Andrei

HTH,