On Jul 23, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

On Lu, 23 iul 12, 09:15:36, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

A compressor of course helps reduce the size a *lot* (it's only 368 MiB
gziped), but this introduces an additional step that I was trying to
avoid.

... and a gzip/gunzip cycle makes the file non-sparse. I fixed it with
cp --sparse always, but this is definitely a show stopper.

Well... making it non-sparse is kinda the point. The parts that "-- sparse" removes are a subset of the parts that gzip will give maximum compression to.

Again, when I read the wiki instructions for using the images, it pretty much assumes that the image was produced with dd and gzip as I have described.

Kind regards,
Andrei

HTH
Rick