On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Chris Bannister
<cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14:54AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
>> Have you tried not having your .xssesionrc at all?  Does it provide
>> the same result to you as with .xsessionrc?
>
> Yes, except for:

> IOW, it reads .xsessionrc If I call it .xsession/.xinitrc it doesn't work,
> probably cause I haven't got the "exec fvwm &" cantation at the end of the
> .xsessionrc file.
>
> Starting fvwm is handled via the alternatives system:
>
> t@tal:~# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
> x-window-manager - auto mode
>   link currently points to /usr/bin/fvwm2
> /usr/bin/fvwm2 - priority 50
>     slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/fvwm2.1.gz
> Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/fvwm2'.

Hmm, to me it doesn't matter, I call the WM from withing .xinitrc, as
the last thing to call:

% tail -1 ~/.xinitrc
exec startfluxbox

>> I've been using .xinitrc and .xsession with plain fluxbox (no DE), to
>> work with plain startx or xdm (other DMs as well such as slim and
>> wdm), and I have had no problems for around 10 years (well I no longer
>> use slim neither wdm now a days)...  For setting resources I use
>> .Xresources and .Xdefaults.
>
> What does: "update-alternatives --display x-window-manager" display for
> you?

Ups, again, it doesn't matter to me.  But as I only have fluxbox
installed, then that's what I expect to show up.  Any ways the output
on the debian boxes is:

% update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
x-window-manager - auto mode
  link currently points to /usr/bin/startfluxbox
/usr/bin/startfluxbox - priority 50
  slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/fluxbox.1.gz
Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/startfluxbox'.

>> Any ways if you look at the startx man page, you'll see at the bottom
>> the configuration files.  It only talks about .xinitrc, and .xserverrc
>> (not .xsessionrc), and I would not play around with .xserverrc, the
>
> I read about .xsessionrc somewhere, can't remember where, cause I was
> having trouble on an upgrade. Not sure if it was etch -> lenny,
> or lenny -> squeeze
>
>> Now, this is the reason I recommended, to reduce maintaining several
>> initialization files, just provide execute permissions for .xinitrc,
>> and then make a link from it to .xsession.  Make sure you call the WM
>
> Already now you have two initialization files. :)
> I could get away with none (no .xinitrc, no .xsession, no .xsessionrc)
> but then I'd have to put all configuration in the "~/.fvwm/config" file.

:-)  As you wish.  BTW, .Xresources is not a initialization script,
its purpose is to specify the X applications resources, for example
the ones I have for xautolock and xlockmore:

% 'grep' 'X.*ock' ~/.Xresources
Xautolock.locker:       xlock
Xautolock.time:         5
XLock.mode:             blank
XLock.lockdelay:        0
XLock.timeout:          25
XLock.background:       black
XLock.foreground:       red
XLock.mousemotion:      on

This is pretty independent upon the WM, so I prefer to set this in
.Xresources, than any other way...  I've played around with fvwm2,
blackbox, and other WMs, and the .Xresources remains invariant for all
of them, :-)

> Although the default setup is quite good. That is, if you don't have a
> "~/.fvwm/config" file.
>
>> BTW, startx does not use .xession at all...
>
> Right.
>
>> Can you provide the .xinitrc you're trying for your startx attempts?
>
> See above explanation.
>
>> As a fallback, before calling your WM, you can also call xterm, or
>> some other term, to keep Xorg up while the term is up...  If that
>> works, then it might be something is wrong when calling the WM...
>
> JTFR, there *IS* no problem. This may be because I'm using fvwm which is
> hooked into the alternatives system *AND* has a working default.
>
> IOW, if I try some other WM, I could very well need an .xinitrc with
> some "exec <WM - here> &" cantation, BUT it looks like it is handled
> by the alternatives system. Using .xinitrc could be defunct, but no one
> has told us. :-)

Nope, .xinitrc works just fine.  You need to call the WM from there,
that's it.  It's been working for years, and keeps working today.

Actually it works on other distros the same way it does for debian,
:-)  That's the part of its beauty...  I use it on debian and arch,
and I have also used it on sourceMage essentially without variations.

XDM also works the same way with .xsession on all distros I've tried.

So nothing of this has been deprecated yet.

> Maybe, if you use .Xresources and/or .Xdefaults you need an .xinitrc.

Nope.  They are not initialization scripts.  startx automatically
reads .Xresources and I don't recall if XDM calls .Xdefaults.  At any
rate, your init scripts can run "xrdb" to use such resources
specifications.  They are meant to specify resources for X
applications, like terminals fonts and shading, but they don't execute
a single thing.

> P.S. Possibly this "exec fvwm &" cantation not working was the cause
> of my search, leading to the use of an .xsessionrc -- but It was a long
> time ago now and my memory is a bit hazy on the details.

Yeap.  I've never used .xsessionrc at all...  To me .xinitrc has
always worked with startx and .xsession has always worked with XDM,
and to simplify things I make links...

--
Javier.