On 20/08/2012 19:14, J. B wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:57:31 +0200
"tv.deb...@googlemail.com"<tv.deb...@googlemail.com>  wrote:

On 20/08/2012 16:53, J. B wrote:

Dear list,

Is there anyone who is successful increasing LUKS partition ?
I have 2 physical partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2.
There is 800 GB free disk space (un-partitioned) between sda1&   sda2
Whole /dev/sda2 is dedicated to a LUKS partition which holds a LVM.
I have tried with gparted to increase /dev/sda2 but there is no support to
increase luks.
How can I increase sda2, so that I can later execute cryptsetup resize ?

Thanks

Hi, I resized LUKS containers on several occasions, without lvm on top
but it shouldn't be much more difficult.
I usually operate from a live-cd, any will do as long as there is
cryptsetup/lvm/whatever-filesystem-you-use support, or that you can
install it.
Close LUKS container if open (unmount partition, close lvm first if
needed), fire up fdisk to destroy the partition that support the LUKS
container, and recreate it with the desired size. fdisk commands are "d"
(destroy),

But it also destroy the data in LVM, no ?

It doesn't.

When you are done with fdisk, start your luks container as usual:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 $dev_name

(anything starting with "$" needs to be replace by the correct device name)

cryptsetup resize $dev_name

Resize VG:

pvresize /dev/mapper/$vg_name

Resize LV:

lvresize -L +800GB /dev/$vg_name/$lv_name

(If size isn't correct the command output will give you the max extents available, use that number with "-l" option)

Start LV:

vgchange -ay

Check filesystem, resize it, check again:

e2fsck -fp /dev/$vg_name/$lv_name

resize2fs /dev/$vg_name/$lv_name

e2fsck -fp /dev/$vg_name/$lv_name

Mount filesystem and verify that data are still there. Just tested live during my tea-break to make sure lvm wasn't screwing things.

The only difference with my system is that free space comes before the LUKS container in your case, I never had this scenario (free space always after LUKS).