>On 21/08/2012 19:22, J. B wrote:
[trim]
The free space is 10 GB, where the luks partition is 200 GB.
I'm eagerly waiting to know the output of your experiment.

Ok, I was under the impression from your first post that the free space was 800GB.

I didn't have time to do extensive tests but with such a small space available compared to the size of the LUKS there is no sane way to do what you want. I didn't manage to make the "fdisk method" work backward, even with a LUKS header backup it doesn't seem to be possible.

At some point you will need to "dd" out your LUKS container, then "dd" it back to a newly created partition including the free space. This would imply a 200GB space available somewhere, and would take ages to complete.

You are better off to backup the data, take good notes of partition UUID, LUKS container as well as vg and lv details. Then create a new partition including the free space and previous sda2 (force same UUID as the old one with "tune2fs -U"), create a fresh LUKS (again maintaining same UUID for convenience), do the same for the lvm layer and copy data back.

If you write random data over the backup afterward or backup to a temporary LUKS container this will leave no trace of the data in clear. Of course you'll need enough space somewhere, but likely less than the 200GB of the LUKS container.

Sorry, can't get LUKS to walk backward :-{