Hello.

> Can anyone verify this, or is it just me? Is it possible I missed a kernel
> config parameter required to allow the PAE-enabled kernel to boot in a KVM
> session? Could it be a Debian build problem? An upstream kernel problem? Or a
> qemu-kvm problem?

I was able to boot the ISO you've provided using qemu-kvm from backports.
Didn't test anything else, though.
Host system is Debian Squeeze, qemu-kvm version is 1.0+dfsg-8~bpo60+1.
I've attached full boot log taken from serial console just in case.

Apparently, the trick is to tell qemu-kvm not to strip an 'lm' processor bit,
i.e
present a guest CPU as x86_64, not i686.