On 11/28/2012 9:14 AM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 11:09 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 11/27/2012 11:29 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:

>>>       Gigabyte 970A-DS3 MB
>>>       8GB (2x4GB) Patriot G3 RAM

> The DIMMS are 1600.  According to the BIOS the CPU Timing is at 200 and
> the memory is at x8.0 which matches the 1600 speed of the memory.  How
> would I set that to match 1333?

> The timings are 4-5-5-15.

Those timings are not correct for DDR3-1600.  The timings you show above
are for DDR3-800 (PC3-6400).

The fastest DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) modules have minimum SPD timings of
8-8-8-24.  The slowest are 11-11-11-28.

The information you're providing doesn't match reality.  With DDR3-1600
and those timings your mobo would simply not POST, and you'd likely get
loud beeps indicating memory failure.  If those timings are actually
what your mobo is auto detecting, then you have DDR3-800 sticks, or...

It's possible that you have mismatched DIMMS, one stick of 1600 and one
stick of 800, maybe 1333 ad 800.  That would easily explain the memory
problems you're having, as most mobo BIOS don't handle DIMM mismatches
very well, if at all.

Pull your DIMMs, write down the numbers on each, and respond here with
those numbers and we'll go from there.  If you have matching DDR3-1600
DIMMs then your mobo isn't reading SPD and setting timings correctly,
though this is very unlikely as I mentioned.  If you have two matched
DR3-800 sticks you'll want to try 6-6-6-15 timings.  If you have
mismatched DIMMs, one 800 and one 1600, etc, then you'll need to have
them replaced with a matching set.

--
Stan