On 12/1/2012 5:34 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I'm calling this case settled.  I went back to Fry's today and returned
> the second kit of Patriot Memory.  I got a store creidit and went back
> to pick out new memory.  Fry's does not carry Micron memory, and only
> occasionally has Crucial.  They were out of the Kingston that I had been
> thinking about so I got a pair of 4GB Corsair sticks at 1333 MHz.  I
> have run them through 2 full passes of Memtest86+ with no errors.

Good to hear it's all working now.  Curious, the pair of Patriot sticks
with the problem:  did that package show signs of being opened before
you bought it?  Unscrupulous people will buy memory, swap stickers and
put their old memory in the package and return it.  This can happen at
retail, but is very unlikely with Newegg et al as anything returned is
sold as "open box" not new.

> Thank you, everyone, for your input.  Thanks especially to Stan for
> triggering my memory that I had written down the output from Memtest86+
> so that I could see that it did not match what the package, and the
> sticks themselves said they were.

You're welcome.  Glad I was able to help.

> I now have a system that is running well and not claiming to have any
> errors.  It has only taken me two weeks to get to this point, but I'm
> there.  All is right with the world, or, at least with my new system.

I'm glad a simple RAM swap fixed it.  Swapping mobos is a much bigger
PITA...

--
Stan