On 29 November 2012 15:36, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Beco <r...@beco.cc> wrote:
> > Dear fellows,
>
> I have a Kobo and I like it pretty well. One issue I do have is that
> browsing through a large collection of books is a real pain. You can
> sort by title or author, but that is it, no support for a folder
> structure or similar. The Kobo software work well on wine, I think
> they are supposed to put out a Linux native version at some point (it
> uses QT4). For Kobo you only need to install their software, not
> Adobe, though Adobe works ok in Wine as well.

Have you tried using Calibre?  I did not need any Kindle software on my
Debian computer to manage my Kindle. Calibre does it all for me.

> Kobo at least is pretty terrible for PDFs. Slow, badly sized text, no
> reflow...Fundamentally PDF is not a good format for ebooks. I don:t
> know if the experience is better on a Kindle or similar.

Same on Kindle except when you format pdf for A6 pages.

I had some success converting pdf's to mobi format - escpecially when it
was created with latex with hyperref. I think Calibre first try to convert
it to html and then to epub or mobi or whatever format you prefer.

> Can't help with the remote stuff. Maybe Kindle's wispernet would be useful?

I have a Kindle Touch.  I do not use whispernet, but my local home
wifi-network and it works very nicely.  I can even send documents by email
to the Kindle or even from my Macbook' s Desktop using Amazon's "Send to
Kindle" software.  And then you can choose to which Kindle you want to send
it. I and my wife have both Kindles registered on the same account at
Amazon.  Then I also have a software Kindle on my mobile phone and on my
macbook.  I can use Send-to-Kindle to send a file to all of them.

> I find it surprising that people are recommending tablets and
> phones... IMHO phone are next to useless for any serious amount of
> book reading, they are just too small, and the tablets have the
> battery life issue. That is what is great about an ereader, you charge
> it like once a week tops.

I charge my Kindle once about once in a month or month and a half.

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)