i normally install things from the repository of debian by "apt-get
install" however just need to know if in case circumstances push me to
compile things at some point.so the question that i am asking is just
for learning purpose.
i have seen on youtube people first un-tar the package (e.g.
spamassassin) then they some time run "make" command only without any
parameter at the end of it and then in next command they run "make
install" so the question is whats does that first "make" command does,
why we do not directly use "make install"

Thanks,