Le 31.01.2013 08:44, Muhammad Yousuf Khan a écrit :
i normally install things from the repository of debian by "apt-get
install" however just need to know if in case circumstances push me to
compile things at some point.so the question that i am asking is just
for learning purpose.
i have seen on youtube people first un-tar the package (e.g.
spamassassin) then they some time run "make" command only without any
parameter at the end of it and then in next command they run "make
install" so the question is whats does that first "make" command does,
why we do not directly use "make install"

Thanks,

Make without argument "run" the file ./Makefile (or ./makefile I do not remember). This usually only compile the software, without moving it's files in usual folders, which are not accessible from a normal user.

make install moves files generated by make in predefined folders, on debian it is usually /usr/local but there are other classic destinations.

The separation is useful because it allows to run a software without installing it for entire system. Consequences: developers can debug it without root rights, and users can use a software absent of the system without annoying the admin. It also means that if the software have a problem, and if you did not installed it, it can not damage your system: only the user's home (except if there are security flaws). On disadvantages: only the user with the binary can run the software, and he needs to configure his path to know that software.