Update:

* Google Chromium
This does not appear (in an hour of usage) to have the CPU-spikes
problem of iceweasel/firefox.
Performance is fine on my modern laptop.
Tabs work; CTRL-PgUp/Dn works.
Has private browsing mode. I'm hoping proxy settings are remembered.

Only downer is: does not integrate with "standard (XFCE) style
desktop/windows theme - ie Windows XP style windows theme. Chromium
seems rather stuck on its own theme.

So far, chromium appears to be the least inconvenient option, and I
guess we can even call it "mainstream"..

When the next Firefox/Iceweasel ESR/LTS release is made, I may test
that out too... but it looks like v10 is the security-supported option
for Wheezy.

Zenaan