On 03/16/2013 11:27 AM, Mark Neidorff wrote:
                     Dear list -

      When I boot my Debian [6.0.1] I receive a message "SSDT not found."
   How do I fix it?

      Thanks.

      Ethan

Did you check the media that you booted from and make sure that it
passedthe MD5SUM or other test?

  I bought this laptop from eBay as a used unit. It had Windows XP loaded
when received, and displayed the same problem..  I installed the Debian
from official disks.

  Ethan

Ethan,

We (the list) like "Good Questions (TM)".  Your first question did not qualify,
and with the additional information that you provided, it still does not
qualify as a Good Question.

What we know:
you got an error
it is a laptop
you bought it sight unseen
it had Windows XP on it
you got the error with XP
you installed Debian on it
you got the same error with Debian

Just some of the things that we (the list)don't know, and we need to know to
help you solve this problem:
how old is it >>2007
how much memory does it have >>2G
what is the brand >> Dell Latitude D630
what processor does it have >> Intel Duo Core 2.2G
what disk drive does it have and what is its capacity >> 160G
what bios does it have Dell A13
is the bios up to date or is there a newer version available >> Latest A17.

Given what little information you have provided we think that:
There is perhaps a bios problem
the problem is not related to Debian or XP since it occurs when you boot
either one.

It was suggested that you:
Go into the bios and reset it to factory default. >> DONE
 If that fixes the problem, >> It didn't
you are all set.

If not, the computer may have a very limited life left.  OUCH!!!!!

Did
you reset the bios? >> Yes (You did not say if you tried that)
Make sure that the computer has the latest version of the bios installed.  Did
you check the version of the bios?  >> Y

What is the result of updating the bios? >> It is not obvious to me how to do it. All the documentation refers to a Windows/DOS system. Would someone please walk me thru it.

Thanks for your help and constructive criticism.

Ethan