On 03/17/2013 04:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 20:13:58 +0100, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD
<erosenb...@hygeiabiomedical.com> wrote:

On 03/17/2013 12:46 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 17/03/13 12:29 AM, Ethan Rosenberg, PhD wrote:

On 03/16/2013 11:27 AM, Mark Neidorff wrote:
how old is it >>2007
how much memory does it have >>2G
what is the brand >> Dell Latitude D630
what processor does it have >> Intel Duo Core 2.2G
what disk drive does it have and what is its capacity >> 160G
what bios does it have Dell A13
is the bios up to date or is there a newer version available >>
Latest A17.

Go into the bios and reset it to factory default. >> DONE
If that fixes the problem, >> It didn't

Updating the BIOS depends on the computer. Many BIOS can now update
directly from a USB stick (usually required to be formatted as FAT16
or FAT32 and containing the BIOS file)

USB stick: Size ?GB
Format [FAT16/FAT32]??
Boot into [DOS]?

Ok, now we know the above and that the new battery also doesn't solve the
issue.

Now you should update the BIOS.
USB sticks usually are formatted with fat32 by default and that should be
ok for the BIOS.

Latest BIOS version at
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/Product/latitude-d630 is
A18.

spinymouse11.2@suse11-2:~> ls -hl Desktop/
total 1.2M
-rw-r--r-- 1 spinymouse11.2 users 1.2M 2013-03-17 21:43 D630_A18.exe

The smallest USB stick should be ok regarding to the file size, but I
suspect you need to build a DOS CD or something similar to run the exe.
I can't help you with this, perhaps somebody else does know how to
continue.

I wonder if it would be possible to run the exe from a Linux live media,
assumed there should be one providing wine.

======
Dear All -

[So many of you have helped, that I do not know to whom this should be addressed].

This seems to imply that booting off a USB stick should work.
What is my error if I am mis-stating this.

File Format:    Non-Packaged    Get Driver Download File
Add To My Download List Add to My Download List
File Name:

D630_A18.exe
Description: This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. To use it, download the file and copy it to a DOS-bootable diskette. With the diskette in the floppy drive, reboot the system and run the program.
Download Type:  HTTP
File Size:      1MB

I do not have a floppy drive on the laptop.

Ethan