On 3/17/2013 10:34 AM, Casper Langemeijer wrote:

> Which has alway been my understanding of it until so far. But I like to
> repeat from my first email: "I tried the debian installer again, but
> even then it's not able to get a DHCP IP address using eth0. eth1 is
> working fine." This is after a cold boot.
>
> Evidently the NIC has some non-volatile state, it's not just RAM. It
> could well be that the firmware in RAM did something to the NIC that
> brought it into this broken state. The firmware blob could even have
> fried it, but I think that's unlikely.
>
> Bottom line is that installing the firmware blob for the network card is
> breaking it.

Have you performed sufficient troubleshooting to make this claim?

If the firmware is the problem conventional wisdom says it will brick
all 4 ports, not just one.  You've never mentioned the other two ports
eth2/3.  Are they working?  Also, dhclient not receiving a lease doesn't
mean eth0 is dead or broken.  What does ifconfig tell you?  How about
/etc/network/interfaces?

Also, all modern servers retain power while the cord is jacked in.  This
is what enables wake-on-LAN, etc.  As long as the daughterboard has
standby power it will retain the firmware in its onboard RAM.  Pull the
power cord and wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in.

--
Stan