On 03/17/2013 05:12 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Which has alway been my understanding of it until so far. But I like to
repeat from my first email: "I tried the debian installer again, but
even then it's not able to get a DHCP IP address using eth0. eth1 is
working fine." This is after a cold boot.

Evidently the NIC has some non-volatile state, it's not just RAM. It
could well be that the firmware in RAM did something to the NIC that
brought it into this broken state. The firmware blob could even have
fried it, but I think that's unlikely.

Bottom line is that installing the firmware blob for the network card is
breaking it.
Have you performed sufficient troubleshooting to make this claim?
I ruled out a faulty cable or switch. What do you mean by your question? I run two racks of servers, I'm a full-time linux professional. I do stuff like linux interface bonding, have setup linux bridging, advanced firewalling. I know my stuff.

If the firmware is the problem conventional wisdom says it will brick
all 4 ports, not just one.  You've never mentioned the other two ports
eth2/3.  Are they working?
eth2 and eth3 are working fine, as is eth1.
Also, dhclient not receiving a lease doesn't
mean eth0 is dead or broken.  What does ifconfig tell you?  How about
/etc/network/interfaces?
If I ifup both eth0 and eth1, ifconfig shows both interfaces. No difference between output for them. (except ip/mac of course) The counters get reset every few seconds for the broken eth0. Also: ethtool shows nothing out off the ordinary except that it cannot detect Speed and Duplex.

/etc/network/interfaces is configured as following:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 172.24.2.241
        netmask 255.255.0.0

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 172.24.2.242
        netmask 255.255.0.0
        gateway 172.24.1.1

Gateway is missing for eth0. That is intentional. I don't need it for local operation.
Also, all modern servers retain power while the cord is jacked in.  This
is what enables wake-on-LAN, etc.  As long as the daughterboard has
standby power it will retain the firmware in its onboard RAM.  Pull the
power cord and wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in.
I was pretty sure I did that, but just to be sure this morning I pulled the power cord. No change in the situation.