Hi Lisi!

> It does.  The lower pinning is to prevent backports from upgrading your
> whole installation.  If you install from Stable and do not change your
> sources.list, upgrades will only be taken from Stable.  To repeat what I
> said earlier, packages from backports _and_ _only_ packages from
> backports will be upgraded from backports.  If you change the pinning so
> that everything is upgraded from backports, you are likely to land in
> quite a mess.

Yes, that is exactly what I tried to express earlier. It was clear to me, that
change pinning would result in upgrading all packages from backports and not
from stable. This was intended to avoid by me, and so I asked the list, as I
was not quite sure about it.

> You have been imprecise in several of your statements.  I even, to my
> shame, caught it and referred to updates when I should have said upgrades.
>  Apart from that, Andrei and I are being precise.  You must take what we
> say literally.

Oh, I never doubted that you were imprecise. I was imprecise, maybe I cannotz
express myself in English as well as in my mother language German. I excuse
for that!

> Andrei is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful of the people on this
> list.  He is also very experienced.

> You appear to be relatively new to
> Debian.
Ahem, no, I am not new to debian. But I am no coder (coding is something,
which is no fun for me). really, I am using debian now since sarge, on
desktops and on servers as well. And when things are not clear for me or not
satisfactory documentated, I ask the list. In my social and personal area is
no one, who I can ask and learn from. I am alone!

> If you disagree with Andrei, it is a safe bet that it is Andrei
> who is right.  You ought to look at where you are mistaken, not tell
> Andrei that he is wrong.

No no, I do / did not disagree with you. If it looks like this way, it was not
intended by me. Again, please excuse, if it looked like that.

> You have clearly misunderstood what backports are and how backports
> operate. So I repeat:  packages from backports, and ONLY packages from
> backports, are updated from backports.

Yes, you are right. This thing I really misunderstood. I imagined, to add
backports to the sources.list would automatically replace packages from stable
with packages from backports (here clamav for example comes in my mind, where
every virus database update requires a new clamav binary).

I see, I was wrong.

So, thank you for making things clearer and enlighten me. Happy hacking!

> Lisi

Best

Hans