On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 23:20 +0400, recovery...@gmail.com wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:44:42 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 12:08 -0300, Beco wrote:
> > > Nice this startpage. I'm recommending to my students.
> >
> > I'm satisfied with it too :). We now have to trust
> > https://startpage.com/ by ixquick, that their claims are true. But I
> > never heard anything bad about ixquick. IMO startpage is better than
> > ixquick and duck duck go.
>
> TOR project seems to think that duckduckgo > startpage.
>
> Not that this 'enabled by default family filter' bothers me, but it can
> lead to unexpected results, as shown here:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8839#comment:7

Reco, starpage does work good enough for my needs, however, I didn't use
it with Vidalia (a TOR Firefox setup) yet and didn't test what happens
when searching for for content that shouldn't be seen by little
children. Indeed, I searched for a web page that does provide content
for adults, resp. in Germany this should be allowed for adolescents too
and startpage.com didn't show the page, while it was the first hit for
Google.

Thanks for the heads-up!

To avoid a misunderstanding, this has nothing to do with TOR,
startpage.com is censoring what ever browser we use. However, when
searching for Linux related content I'm satisfied. The side I searched
as a test has erotically content, in some countries you need to be an
adult to watch the content, in others I suspect it's legal for
adolescents too, a few nations perhaps ban such sides for everybody.

I can not imagine much content that is filtered, but suspect that sex,
drugs and rock'n'roll will be filtered only.