On 13/10/13 01:02 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 01:10:14PM -0300, msl09 wrote:
Oh I have fond memories of aptitude breaking my system. Once it
suggested me to remove most of my system, including apt, I thought it
was going to upgrade it so I confirmed it. I had to reinstall apt from
the debian packages website.

In this new installation I gave it another try but when it started
suggesting very weird plans(like remove all gnome packages) ...

It seems like aptitude has gotten a lot smarter lately. :)

  Not this morning it wasn't.

Aptitude has been refusing to do a full upgrade on my Jessie system for the past two weeks because it said it needed xorg-video-abi-12 but it said it is not installable. Well, not so. I tried running Synaptic this morning and it had no problem finding what it needed and installing it. I still don't understand what the difference was but Synaptic did what aptitude said it couldn't do. What could be the difference ? Does Synaptic not use the same repo source files aptitude uses?

Cheers