I did a search for Debian and Haswell (plus a couple of related
searches) and found several helpful things.  One was several posts on
Phoronx (including
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM5MzU) that
suggest support is pretty good.  I have found several other posts on
some Forums about Debian where people have had some trouble, but newer
versions of the kernel usually sorted it out (but not always).

I will have to go back and make a list of the network controllers and
audio chipsets on boards I am interested in and do some more
searching.  But overall, if I stay away from exotic hardware (assuming
I recognize it when I see it :-)) I think this should work fairly
well.

There is one an area that I'm pretty unsure of.  I am planning on
purchasing a Nvidia video card and disabling the built in Intel video
support.  Since I plan to use this computer as a MythTV
frontend/backend (as well as for general web browsing/email) getting
the audio out on the Nvidia card's HDMI port is important to my
particular setup.  So will the audio automatically be switched to the
Nvidia cards HDMI connector?  I realize this question doesn't
reference an actual hardware (what boards, what version, what sound
system will be installed, etc), so if there is possibly anyway to
generalize the answer that would be appreciated.  At this point I can
say I would let the Debian Installer install the default sound system,
what ever that would be.  I run 'Testing' on my current computer, but
don't really need to, so may choose 'Stable' for the new hardware.

Thanks,
Jon