On Nov 12, 2013 7:32 PM, "Stan Hoeppner" <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2013 5:37 PM, Jon N wrote:
> > There is one an area that I'm pretty unsure of.  I am planning on
> > purchasing a Nvidia video card and disabling the built in Intel video
> > support.  Since I plan to use this computer as a MythTV
> > frontend/backend (as well as for general web browsing/email) getting
> > the audio out on the Nvidia card's HDMI port is important to my
> > particular setup.  So will the audio automatically be switched to the
> > Nvidia cards HDMI connector?
>
> No, it won't be automatic.  And frankly I don't believe nVidia supports
> HDMI digital audio pass through, nor any discrete GPU card.  For
> argument's sake, let's say it does.  Then you run into the problem that
> the onboard audio chip can't pass digital audio through PCIe to the
> nVidia HDMI port.  None of them are designed to do this, that I'm aware
of.

Wow, I'm glad I asked that question :-). If I understand this correctly it
it doesn't matter if there is any video hardware on the mainboard, in the
processor, or none at all, you still can't get sound from a audio chipset
on the mainboard to the video card's HDMI connector anyway.

> If I were you I'd get a mainboard with with HDMI out and use the CPU's
> GPU.  Mobos that have onboard HDMI have their audio chips wired to the
> HDMI port, the chips support PCM/AC3 digital output, and selecting the
> HDMI output for digital audio is pretty straightforward.

I think pretty much all the Mobos have HDMI in them, especially since they
support a processor line that all has built in video.  I was planning on
Nvidia simply because a) I use it now and b) I am under the impression that
they have better overall support (i.e.: just work better).  But I may be
underestimating how well the built in Intel video solution works.  And it
would same me money by not purchasing a new board, use less electricity
(love that), and maybe even make the system quieter (no fan on a separate
video card).  I will check over at the MythTV mailing list about it.

> The Intel GPU should be plenty powerful enough for HD1080 output.  If
> you decide it's not, and want to add a discrete card, you'll need a mobo
> with coaxial digital SPDIF output, or Toslink optical digital output,
> and a TV or A/V receiver that is cable of using an HDMI input for video
> while using coax or Toslink for audio.  Nearly all modern A/V receivers
> support this.  WRT LCD/Plasma TVs I have no idea how many support this.

I currently use my DVI out to HDMI in on my receiver, and s/pdif for the
audio, it works fine.  I thought it would be nice to have it all in one.  I
think the HDMI supports higher bandwidth for the audio, but I'm not sure
anything I'm playing would need it anyway.

Thanks,

Jon