Frank McCormick, 19.12.2013:
> On 19/12/13 10:25 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >On 19/12/13 01:32 AM, Charlie wrote:
> >>On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 01:09:03 -0500 Frank McCormick sent:

> >>There has been a recent thread about wireless. Some interesting
> >>information.
> >>
> >>I have no idea at all about wireless.
> >>
> >>Try 'iwconfig" as root and see what wlan should be seeking. I wore
> >>myself out putting wlan1 in my /etc/network/interfaces and jumping
> >>through all manner of hoops. It should have been wlan2 and when I
> >>changed it, all was well.
> >>

> >    Well it's really frustrating! iwconfig output looks ok then again I
> >am not really sure what I should be looking for.
> >
> >root@frank-debian:/home/frank# iwconfig wlan0
> >wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
> >           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
> >           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
> >           Encryption key:off
> >           Power Management:on
> >

> >This is from syslog
> >
> >Dec 19 10:17:37 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
> >255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
> >Dec 19 10:17:44 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
> >255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
> >Dec 19 10:17:52 frank-debian dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to
> >255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
> >database - sleeping.
>

>   Solved my problem. +1 for wicd in the Debian repositories...-10
> for gnome-nettool :)
>

> If you are having wireless setup problems, it's the tool to goto.

FWIW, I have a cheap usb wireless adabter with the same identifier
listed in your lsusb (ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370
Wireless Adapter) and it's been working fine with Network Manager in
Gnome (in fallback mode) in wheezy.  Haven't needed wicd, or anything
else for that matter, to get it working.  (The performance isn't too
great but that's probably due to the driver and/or hardware.)

Anyway, it's good that you solved your problem, whichever way was handy.