On 21/12/13 04:35 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Frank McCormick wrote:
Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
Frank McCormick, 19.12.2013:
    Solved my problem. +1 for wicd in the Debian repositories...-10
for gnome-nettool :)

If you are having wireless setup problems, it's the tool to goto.

FWIW, I have a cheap usb wireless adabter with the same identifier
listed in your lsusb (ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370
Wireless Adapter) and it's been working fine with Network Manager in
Gnome (in fallback mode) in wheezy.  Haven't needed wicd, or anything
else for that matter, to get it working.  (The performance isn't too
great but that's probably due to the driver and/or hardware.)

I don't like NM but the symptoms you reported don't seem to be due to
the difference between wicd and NM.  The symptoms showed that the wifi
was associated but no dhcp response was received.  I sometimes get
this too using the Intel 2200BG driver.  I think it might more likely
have been a driver issue.  I find that unloading and reloading the
driver fixes the problem.  And another list member reported the same
thing recently too.
//snip//

I am using the ralink driver with a USB RT3070 device.  That is
different from the RT5370 device you are using but I think the driver
is the same?  For me it is the rt2800usb family.  The ralink driver
has been working well for me.  I am using one as a client and two as
an access points and found they work pretty well for me.  So far I
would give them a thumbs up.

Yes I noticed on the Ralink Tech site that some of the drivers cover a wide range of chipsets. It was weird that the adapter seemed to be setup but couldn't function under dhcp. But today I had different problems with the passphrase which I finally sorted out. And then the adapter kept dropping out and reverting to wired...and it's only a few feet from the router. Wireless under Linux can be a PITA.

Anyway, it's good that you solved your problem, whichever way was handy.

   Any port in a storm :)

Agreed.  Glad that your problem is solved.

   For now anyway :)

--
Your mail is being read by tight-lipped
NSA agents who fail to see the humor in Doctor