I have noticed that Debian no longer finds removable media on USB
storage, unless the media is already plugged when the device is
plugged. If I plug the device first and then insert the media, the
media (not the device) is not recognized.

This is not much trouble with USB card readers, since you can always
unplug the device, plug the media and then plug the device, but in
some cases this is a lot of trouble.

I recently came across a USB internal card read that I could unplug.
The same goes for smartphones. Once you plug the phone, it asks what
connection mode you want. Only after you select USB mass storage, the
media is supposed to be recognized.

I tested one such phone on several machines with Debian testing
(Jessie) and it only worked on no-longer-maintained Debian testing
which was still using kernel 3.2.I recently came across a USB internal
card read that I could unplug. The same goes for smartphones. Once you
plug the phone, it asks what connection mode you want. Only after you
select USB mass storage, the media is suposed to be recognized.

I tested one such phone on several machines with Debian testing
(Jessie) and it only worked on no-longer-maintened Debian testing
which was still using kernel 3.2.

Can anyone help?

--
Bruno Schneider