thanks very much for getting back to me.

remainder inline

On 6/13/14, Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com> wrote:
> tom arnall wrote:
>> because i con't like unused software on my system and because i cdn't
>> get the system to go  automatically to ice when i login, i completely
>> removed lxde.
>
> Sure.  Does that include removing the graphical login manager too?
> That is usually one of xdm, gdm, gdm3, kdm, lightdm, or possibly others.

root@debian:/home/tom# which xdm gdm gdm3 kdm lightdm
/usr/sbin/lightdm
root@debian:/home/tom#

>> everything is fine EXCEPT when i log out, the system
>> doesn't return the login screen but just hangs and shows just the
>> mouse cursor and the regular debian backdrop.
>
> How did you log in?  Did you use a graphical login manager?

the  login  procedure is  definitely with a gui.

> then which one?

don't know. how do i determine that. doesn't lightdm include the login
procedure?

>Or having removed all of LXDE if that included the
> graphical login manager too
>then did you log in using the text
> console?

>Did you start the X Window System manually?

no. it starts with the boot

> If so how?
> Using "startx" or another way?  Or are you simply logging in on the
> console and using a normal text session?

login with gui popup.

> When you say the regular Debian backdrop I know you are looking at it
> but for me the regular Debian background is black screen with a login
> prompt in text.  I doubt that is the same for you.  Are you seeing a
> themed graphical image?

when i log out, i get a graphical screen with the debian swirl on the
right. it's the same background when the login popup appears after
boot

> Please give a little more information there.
>
>> result is i end up having to reboot when all i need is a logout.
>
> That does sound unpleasant.
>
>> i run wheezy.  is used the iso which includes lxde when i installed
>> wheezy.
>
> Remember that things that are obvious to you because you see them will
> not be visible to us unless you describe it to us.

yep! i did phone support for order-entry people and similar. and this
was back in the day of ansi terminals. hah! every program i wrote
which had a user screen also had its name on the first line of the
dispay. etc. i still got some very strange descriptions of problems
from the users, regularly, making me wonder sometimes if we shared the
same planet. finally there came setups which gave me control of the
user's machine. heaven.

thanks again for getting back to me and for your help to the community
in general.

Tom