On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:30:22 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <j...@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 12:58:26PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > True, it's a single point of failure, but it's made by GNU, whose
> > agenda is less harmful to Linux than the agenda of Redhat.
>
> I nearly choked on my coffee reading that. Redhat built their
> business on Linux; GNU have been hostile towards it for years.

Hi Jonathan,

I think you're talking about the Redhat from the days of Robert Young.
Robert Young, and the business he ran, were totally devoted to Linux
and free software. Those days are gone.

You mention that Redhat built their business on Linux. That's
indisputable. And, starting in the days of Robert Young, they Embraced
Linux. Now, with systemd, they've Extended Linux in ways that, from my
perception, are bumping right up against most peoples' definition of
Linux. I'm very worried about the third shoe dropping.

As far as GNU hostility, that hostility goes only so far as:

1) They feel GNU should be given credit for most of its utilities being
   used together with the Linux kernel so to make a complete OS. All
   they ask is to call it GNU/Linux.

2) They have some licensing issues with some software used on GNU/Linux.

3) Stallman's a hostile kinda guy. Linux is nothing special :-)

Look at it this way: If GNU wanted to stick stuff into their compiler
to reduce the utility of Linux, they would have done so years ago. They
never have. Redhat just did, bigtime.

SteveT