2014/10/15 1:47 "Brian" <a...@cityscape.co.uk>:

> On Tue 14 Oct 2014 at 12:06:11 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:02:10AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> > > You know darn well, Henning. In anything, not just Linux, not just
> > > Debian, not just systemd, when somebody has the responsibility of doing
> > > the best thing for the community or other entity, but they also have a
> > > financial stake in which way the thing goes, they have a huge incentive
> > > to vote in a way detrimental to the community or other entity. This is
> > > why bribery is a crime.
> > >

> > Well thanks for pointing that out. But this effort can be seen as a way to
> > tilt the voting based on one aspect. And this being _systemd_. Now a group
> > has identified that another group with "financial interest" is more likely
> > to vote for sytemd. So lets disenfranchise those. That is equally bad.
> >
> > And second "financial interest" != bribery. This is a very distorted view.
> > My work is based on debian as a development platform. So I do have a
> > financial interest in debian being a stable platform. So I shall be
> > disenfranchised?
>
> The depths are really beginning to be plumbed. We have a proposer of an
> resolution linking financial gain with the work people do in their free
> time to give us a free OS. This is rapidly followed by a seconder who
> has found another bandwaggon to jump on. All this is supposed to be for
> the benefit of Debian.
>
> Give me swearing in posts rather than innuendo and attempted character
> assassination of a group dedicated workers.

Do you realize that a lot of your posts, jumping on anti-systemd
topics, might appear, to casual examination, to be innuendo and/or
character assassination?

Any time people believe strongly in something, it becomes difficult to
examine their own position carefully. (That's part of the meaning of
my other sig.)

You need to understand. We have a bunch of old fogies, including
myself, whose training included the KISS mantra, Murphy's laws, the
proverb, "Fast, correct, delivered on time, pick any two.", another
proverb about how computers excel at making mistakes at high speed,
another about how the computer could only do exactly what you told it
to, so that bug is your fault, and many other metaphors that helped us
understand the limits of the machine that is easy to see as a magic
box.

That last one is no longer true. You often don't know who wrote the
compilers or libraries you use or how they interpreted the standards,
so the best you can do is try to avoid corner cases and areas of known
disagreement.

Looking at the architecture and goals of systemd is, for me, like
seeing the world turned upside down. (I could be more explicit, but
I'm fully aware by now how it would be received here.) I look at the
code and it does not reassure me in the slightest, even though,
superficially, the code has significantly improved over the last year.

You have to understand that. For people who were trained the way I
was, systemd proves itself completely wrong by design. Any attempt to
defend it is already tainted, and it's hard to work around that point
of view.

I know that we have a different set of expectations. Nanosecond
instruction timings and multi-gigabytes of main memory make some
things that were impossible to even consider when I was in college
something in the way of commonplace now. Cellphones? My "feature
phone" has more raw horsepower and more memory than any of the
computers I used in college.

(Unfortunately, I can't run a C compile on it, and sometimes the irony
of that is a bit painful. Maybe that pain is part of why systemd gets
my back up.)

Some things become possible. Some do not. Instructions still take
time, and they just basically aren't going to get any faster with any
of the technology that we have any Moore.

systemd tries to do too much, and fixing the corner cases will kill it
eventually. Processors aren't going to get faster and save the day
like they have with so many formerly impossible things.

Hopefully, by that point, Poettering will cease to believe he's
Supercoder and start having systemd delegate the hard stuff. Or
someone will fork the code and fix what he is refusing to fix.

He could have designed it that way from the start, but then it would
look mostly like a re-write of sysv-init, and it wouldn't have been
such a "cool new technology."

Going further than that will, again, invite people to call "Foul!", so
I'll refrain.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.