On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Marty wrote:
> It seems like free software employment and market share come with
> increasing risk to objectivity and technical quality.

People have to eat. Almost everyone who works on Debian has someone who
pays them.

> It's my main concern as a Debian user, as I consider recent trends.

It really shouldn't be. The biggest concern that I have is getting new
contributors into Debian and keeping existing contributors from burning
out. Companies paying people to work on Debian is one way of getting
more contributors and keeping existing contributors happy.

> I hope that Debian members consider an amendment to restrict voting
> rights for members who have a financial interest in Debian or in any
> project used by Debian, to promote and protect the public interest.

Everyone who contributes to Debian has an interest in what the project
does, whether or not its financial. There's a reason why we're
contributing, after all.

People who are in positions of power in Debian are relatively open about
what those interests are and who their employers are. But expecting
people not to vote or participate just because they happen to be paid to
work on Debian isn't healthy or sustainable.

That said, if despite my counter-arguments, this is something you feel
strongly about, find a DD who agrees with you, write up a constitutional
amendment, and get it proposed on -vote or discussed -project.

It's not on topic here.

I learned really early the difference between knowing the name of
something and knowing something
 -- Richard Feynman "What is Science" Phys. Teach. 7(6) 1969