On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:52:58 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Nate Bargmann <n...@n0nb.us> wrote:
> > * On 2014 15 Oct 19:39 -0500, Joel Rees wrote:
> >> systemd's problems would best be discussed at the systemd project.
> >> (Modulo the willingness of the devs over there to discuss them.)
> >>
> >> What I'm thinking is to talk about specific features to enable the
> >> sort of "managing services" that systemd seems to be aimed at, and
> >> how to implement them, where existing alternatives exist and how
> >> well they work,
> >>
> >> With enough discussion, we might be able to get enough mass to get
> >> a project started and get it (mostly) off-list.
> >
> > Perhaps you are not aware of the development project for sysvinit
> > that already exists:
> >
> > http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sysvinit
> >
> > That would be a far better place to get involved.
>
> Would that be debian's sysv-init?

With everything I've learned during the systemd fiasco, if I were to
choose Debian's sysv-init, it would be nosh or something very much like
it. And, as far as I know, it's ready to go, and our only involvement
would be building replacements for formerly available software that was
replaced by systemd-welded substitutes.

After Jonathan de Boyne Pollard revealing post from yesterday
(Wednesday, 10/15/2014), we could write some stupid-simple utilities to
individually do all the stuff that logind does, probably using sudoers.
Which means a big part of the task would be documentation, and I can do
that.

Of course, we'd need to write substitutes for the other 3 major welded
and subsumed daemons, and some other stuff, but from what Jonathan
said, logind is the challenging one.

IMHO we should spend absolutely no time or energy making this stuff
pretty, or even GUI if it presents challenges. If I'm guessing right
about the situation, people who want pretty wouldn't have a problem
with monolithic entanglement and vendor lock-in, just as long as they
didn't have to pay money for their OS.

As a matter of fact, regardless of what the DDs do, it just might be
true that making either a systemd-free or systemd-neutered Debian
might be mainly a documentation problem, and I'm pretty good at
documentation. Who wants to join me? It's your chance to make Red-Hat
*really* hate you. And make a lot of Debian users and other Linux
people love you.

SteveT