Le Thu, 30 Oct 2014 02:24:27 -0400,
Marty <mar...@ix.netcom.com> a écrit :

> On 10/29/2014 06:53 AM, Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> > Le Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:52:54 -0400,
> > Marty <mar...@ix.netcom.com> a écrit :
[...]
> >> By "problem" I meant what I consider the problem of not having an
> >> overlap between old and new solutions, and no deprecation period or
> >> warning. I don't argue that it should not be corrected. My point
> >> was more of a policy and design strategy issue.
> >
> > There is NO functional change at all, what was working before is
> > still working now. The only difference is that you have an extra
> > daemon running from the start (and running in a clean context).
>
> The deprecation issue would not apply to Jessie, just some legacy
> code.

I'm not following you here

> > The daemon here on my machine is using 1224KiB of resident memory,
> > this is nothing on modern machines. I personally don't even see why
> > we are discussing this tbh.
>
> I don't know about you, but I am here because I am trying to decide
> if this is a case of "accidental vendor lock-in" and more broadly if
> there is a backward compatibility policy issue that encourages it, or
> if this is an isolated instance.
>
> There's also the matter of the missing init script, doubts about init
> script support, the freeze, the GR, the vote, and questions about
> deprecation policies in general, as background. At this point I'm
> willing write it off as undecidable, at least by me. :)

There is a /etc/init.d/uuidd initscript currently in jessie, see:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/uuid-runtime/filelist
http://sources.debian.net/src/util-linux/2.25.1-5/misc-utils/uuidd.rc.in/

And it has always been clear (at least to me) that all the packages must
continue to support sysvinit and not remove any LSB initscripts for the
jessie release.