I have a line in my /etc/fstab file:

#/dev/sde1/   /media/lumix-photos vfat users,rw,auto,iocharset=utf8,umask=000
    0

Anytime I want to add photos off the SD card in my camera, I comment out the
hashmark
add the SD card to the reader, and reboot the computer. The SD card is mounted
(/dev/sde1/) inside the folder lumix-photos. I then use shotwell to add the new
photos that can then be worked over in GIMP. This solution has worked
flawlessly for years, until now:

log: mount: special device /dev/sde1/ does not exist

log: media-lumix\x2dphotos.mount has failed dependency has failed for local
file system

log: defined-by: systemd

Since /dev/sde1 is listed and described from the fdisk -l command how can it
'not' exits?

What is meant by media-lumix(back slash!)x2dphotos.mount(?)

Adding the SD card into the card reader after editing /etc/fstab then
rebooting, causes the computer to go into emergency (? WTF) mode. Ctrl+d
doesn't fix it. Going to the command prompt with the root password is the only
solution. (i.e. editing the /etc/fstab file back like it was, removing the SD
card, and rebooting.)

I think it's ludicrous that adding an SD card that even has its own line in
/etc/fstab, throws the whole system into 'emergency' mode.

--
CK