On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM, koanhead <koanh...@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:00:02 +0100, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>
>> I am NOT starting another flamewar about systemd...
>
> we hope.

Since I said so, why would you doubt it?

>> Looking at the laptop, I noticed that the suspend indicator was on, even
>> though I have had power management ignore the lid switch...
>
>> It turns out that logind, a piece of systemd, has taken over power
>> management by default. Editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf so that it
>> contains "HandleLidSwitch=ignore" and restarting logind (with 'sudo
>> systemctl restart systemd-logind')[1] has corrected the problem.
>>

> It sounds to me as though the upgrade to systemd overrode your manual
> configuration. AIUI, it's a bug when this happens. Have you filed a bug
> report on this?

I have not. I would not know where to start to look for the package to
which that bug report might properly be filed. The manual
configuration was way back when I still had GUI use of this machine,
and it had continued to be respected. It's not a bug when the entire
infrastructure is changed and power management (suspend, hibernate,
etc.) is handled differently. My guess is that my original GUI (xfce)
would have handled it elegantly (indeed, on my other machines, that
seems to have been the case), but I no longer have access to it on
this particular machine. I've Googled and handled the problem under
the hood, so I'm happy. I just thought the information I learned might
be helpful to others.

Patrick