On 06/14/2015 03:29 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
On 14/06/2015, Petter Adsen <pet...@synth.no> wrote:

Check that they support your GPU at all first, sometimes it takes a
little time for the open source drivers to implement support for the
latest models. nVidia is really bad at releasing documentation that is
needed by the nouveau developers.

Other than that, I was under the impression that you had already tried
them and had to use the proprietary drivers. You may have much better
luck with nouveau.

At this stage, as everything that was expected to work, apparently
doesn't, including the manufacturer's driver, it has become a matter
of grasping at straws.

Simple, purge all of your nvidia packages. Then install mlocate. As root user, updatedb, then locate nvidia. Clobber everything remaining. Follow this to make sure your blacklist is set up now to exclude nvidia, instead of nouveau
http://blog.andresgomez.org/2014/11/19/switching-between-nouveau-and-the-nvidia-proprietary-opengl-driver-in-debian-gnulinux/

Make sure to erase xorg.conf before you reboot.

Question, why were you installing the "legacy" version of the nvidia driver? (195.XXX) You have a GEForce GT750M, which requires the latest driver, not the oldest.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84890/en-us
Plus, a quick google search on: GEForce GT750M linux install
finds a BUNCH of others reporting the same problem. Here is what you seemingly have: "Newer, high-end laptops have a hybrid technology composed of a high-performance HD display adapter and a 3D-accelerated adapter. For nVidia chipsets, this is called Optimus. It is designed so that the 3D acceleration is only used when needed, optimizing power consumption. This is done automatically in Windows systems through the nVidia driver. However, in Linux systems, implementing this feature and actually making use of the 3D capabilities is more complex, because as of 2014/08/07 12:52, there is no nVidia-native Optimus support in the Linux driver."
http://wiki.belmankraul.com/linux/mint16_bumblebee
So, this page author recommends "bumblebee". It's in the repos (non-free I would suspect) so you should get everything you need via snaptic.

You just happen to have the latest and greatest fraught with latest and greatest problems. Google is your friend. I'd study up on it before pressing the red button. Red is never a good color to push. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html