Hi,

> OK. It would be nice to know which port numbers alpine is trying to
> use.

It did connect with explicitely setting port 587 for "/tls/".

But i bet that neither port nor encryption protocol is the
problem. If not alpine mimicks a SMTP error 503 then the
connection is good enough to transmit this server error
message to the alpine client.

> So AIUI alpine is sending and receiving plaintext and your stunnel
> does the encryption. And this stopped working 2015 mid-June.

Yes. By some change in the "Nemesis" server, i guess.

> I don't know whether the fact that it hangs is something that started
> happening in mid-June (for everyone).

It only hangs for the openssl run which we both tried.
It does not hang for stunnel or for alpine.

It might be that different mail accounts are dispatched
to different servers. Now mine got updated.

> Were I a user of mail.gmx.net, I would ask them.

Futile. They'd want me to use the web interface with lots
of advertising.

> so case is sensitive. I can't reconcile it with rfc5321.

Nemesis obviously does not properly get to see your texts.
man 1 s_client says "any key presses will be sent to the server".
This might not be what a SMTP server expects. RFC 821 prescibes
"<CRLF>" as line end mark.
Further i read in man s_client:
"if the line begins with a Q or if end of file is reached,
 the connection will be closed down".
So not SMTP did react on QUIT, but openssl s_client did react
on Q.

Try again with option -crlf

  openssl s_client -crlf -connect mail.gmx.net:465

It brings me to

  220 gmx.com (mrgmx102) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
  EHLO junk
  250-gmx.com Hello junk [79.192.75.113]
  250-SIZE 69920427
  250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN

> I don't get the results that your stunnel (which I know nothing
> about) is providing above.

It's not my stunnel. Nevertheless very handy.
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/stunnel4

Have a nice day :)

Thomas