Quoting Thomas Schmitt (scdbac...@gmx.net):

> > Were I a user of mail.gmx.net, I would ask them.
>
> Futile. They'd want me to use the web interface with lots
> of advertising.

Oh dear. Well, could you attack the problem the other way round and
connect alpine to exim, say, on your own machine. Unfortunately you'll
have to do some configuring first, to open up ports on localhost.

Alternatively, it might be easier to build alpine from source with the
debug flag. I'm guessing that's why you downloaded alpine-2.20.tar.xz.

> Nemesis obviously does not properly get to see your texts.
> man 1 s_client says "any key presses will be sent to the server".
> This might not be what a SMTP server expects. RFC 821 prescibes
> "<CRLF>" as line end mark.

Mea culpa. mail.gmx.net is very persnickety!

> Try again with option -crlf
>
>   openssl s_client -crlf -connect mail.gmx.net:465
>
> It brings me to
>
>   220 gmx.com (mrgmx102) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
>   EHLO junk
>   250-gmx.com Hello junk [79.192.75.113]
>   250-SIZE 69920427
>   250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN