Quoting Tuxo Holic (tuxoho...@hotmail.de):
> Thanks Brian and Jochen for the efforts, but switching off services to remove
> the queue and end up with no advertised printer is not an option as well. So
> the main goal I was aiming at seems to be not available which was: give
> notification to the user, that this network printer is switched off or out of
> service due to maintenance, paper jam or what other reason you could think of.

I can only think of 4 notification methods, but perhaps others can
come up with better ones:

wall        instantaneous, ephemeral and local
email       instantaneous, persistent and potentially global
/etc/motd   displayed at login but, after that, would need to be checked
/etc/issue  displayed before login but, after that, would need to be checked

Personally I always print through scripts which makes the problem
trivial, but I understand this is not everyone's way of working..

Cheers,
David.