I realize my interaction with the list is problematic. I am new to this, I don’t
subscribe to the list itself, and I am interacting via the web page

   lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/08/threads.html

On that page there are only three choices I can see for replying, none of which
have the desired effect of adding the reply to the message thread as I would
wish.

Relative to the actual problem I have, my point is that I am doing a fairly
vanilla
install that leads to an non-functional system. I did not “leave out” anything
that the install
wanted to include; I only “added” GNOME as an optional desktop.

I have tried several test installs on a different machine using various desktop
options.
KDE worked and let me login after the reboot but, it did have problems with the
cursor
being inverted and offset from the active pointer location making it very hard
to work with.
This cursor behavior carried over into the GUI as well. However, if the GUI was
started
from a TTY the cursor displayed properly and behaved normally.

MATE worked just fine: no bizarre behavior with the DM, login works just fine,
and the
GUI works as expected. I liked the MATE desktop better then GNOME 3 so I
re-installed
the system on the original machine using MATE and all is well. So, from my
point of
view the original issue is moot.