On 08/17/2015 11:00 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Monday 17 August 2015 15:49:49 doug wrote:
On 08/17/2015 02:10 AM, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 01:37:37PM -0700, bri...@aracnet.com wrote:

[...]

so soliciting opinions on whether or not getting rid of pulse audio is a
good idea.
Be warned that this has been a long standing hot-button issue. You might
get very strong opinions in both directions (or you might get just very
few, because people are wary of protracted flame wars).

Better try more concrete questions: how to achieve X with pulseaudio. Or
what are your choices besides pulseaudio.

regards
- -- tomás
I have p/a on pclos, and in the past I have had to disable it, but the
latest version seems to work.
The commands in the gui's are a bit tricky--some don't seem to work
sometimes--perhaps they
depend on some other command. You just have to play with it to some
extent. The main gain
I see over alsa is the ability to direct audio out to two channels--a
built-in sound chip on the mobo
and the HDMI output (which includes audio) from a GeForce video card.
that way you can set
up a Youtube or or other media source on your local display, and pipe it
to your TV at the same
time.
BTW: if you're going to watch a long video, you may want to get a mouse
jiggler, so the picture
doesn't go away after a few minutes.

--doug
Why not just:

$ xset -dpms
before the video starts?  And deal with your screensaver.

Lisi

Well, I didn't know about dpms, but now I have looked at the man page, it is still not clear to me. I don't use a screen saver. If I enter xset -dpms does that stop the display from timing out? And
how do you get out of that mode? +dpms?

--doug