On 25/04/2016 11:21, Steve Matzura wrote:
My system that I built late last year/early this year is running
great, except for the occasional overrun of inbound ssh from such
addresses as 59.*.*.*, 213.*.*.* and others, but that's only because I
have not put any blockers in place, either on my home gateway device
or my Debian system, but that one's on me.

I run ssh on a non-standard port, and my router redirects to 22 of my server, alternatively ssh itself will listen wherever you tell it to.

I'm well aware, before anyone jumps in, that this provides *no* *extra* *security*, but it certainly keeps the logs clean.

> I have no GUI desktops
installed, I run completely from CLI and use Speakup for all of it,
including and especially Image for Linux for backup and restore, which
I use on all my Windows machines..

I'd like to take the installed Debian system as it is, write it to a
CD or DVD, and use that as a talking backup/restore disc. Is this
possible? Or should I create a new installation and write it to an ISO
image, or just what should I do to accomplish the goal of creating a
basic talking Debian shell environment that includes a licensed IFL?

I have a sid installation on a portable USB [mechanical] hard drive which was installed as 32bit with all drivers, and therefore boots on just about any PC. I just plugged the drive into a 64bit desktop and made a new installation to the drive. You might get away with copying your existing installation if you have the right drivers installed to suit your target PCs.

I have done it with USB sticks, but they tend to be slow and unreliable, and not bootable everywhere. I've no doubt it could be done with a CD image, but I'd be afraid that such an installation, being non-writable, might have limitations of usage that a drive-based one would not. I'm more comfortable having something that behaves exactly like a desktop installation would, with persistent log files, email cache, etc., and where I can make small configuration changes without rebuilding and burning a new disc. And of course, more PCs are appearing without optical drives, particularly laptops.

--
Joe