Background:

Since I upgraded to Debian 7.11 (wheezy) maybe 6 months to a year ago (maybe
longer), I've made it a habit to upgrade any software for which Apper notifies
me that an upgrade is available.

Something like two weeks ago, I upgraded the Linux kernel when notified.

Before the upgrade completed, I got the following popup:

<quote>
Package failed to install - Apper

One of the selected packages failed to install correctly.
More information is available in the detailed report.
</quote>

And, upon clicking on Details, I got the following:

<quote>
</quote>

But, the upgrade seemed to complete successfully, eventually giving me the
message (~"Your system is up to date, verified <n> hours and <m> minutes ago").

Aside: I did not reboot after that upgrade nor any time since then.

After that, the next several upgrades proceeded in the same fashion--that is,
I saw the warning that one of the selected packages failed to install
properly, but it then seemed to complete and said my system was up to date.

Since then (maybe the last 2 or so upgrades, in the last 2 or 3 days) the
upgrades do not complete successfully--the apper screen just "hangs"--I do not
get the message that the upgrade completed successfully, even if I let the
apper screen sit there for half an hour.

Today I got a notification to update default-jre, default-jre-headless, and
java common and:

   * it gave me a list of other software that had to be updated: libsctp1,
openjdk-7-jre, and openjdk-7-jre-headless, and I accepted that (clicked
Continue)
   * it asked me for authentication, which I gave it
   * it downloaded the packages
   * it started preparing and installing the packages

The popup "Package Failed to install - Apper" appeared-- this time I noticed
that it appeared during an attempt to install "linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64 Linux
3.2 for 64-bit PCs".

I don't know (didn't notice) if during the other problem installs it attempted
to install the linux image.

(Aside: I assume that a new linux-image is only activated after a reboot?
OTOH, when I run uname -a I get: "Linux s19 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
3.2.78-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux" which seems to indicate I am using the latest Linux
kernel (??).)

Anyway, it seemed that today's update did complete successfully--after today's
upgrade I did get the message:

<quote>
Your system is up to date
Verified 3 hours and 26 minutes ago
</quote>

So:
   1. Should I be worried?
   2. Should I reboot?
   3. Was there something wrong with that kernel upgrade that I should expect
to be fixed, and wait to install that fix before rebooting?
   4. Can anyone explain what is going on?
   5. Any other advice?

Thanks!
Randy Kramer