Thanks for the reply, but I want to clarify a little more (oh, and the other
questions still stand...):

   * I assume that I only have to reboot if I / when I'm ready to have that
new kernel be activated--otherwise the system will continue to use the old
kernel--presumably with no problems.

   * Or, do you think my problems with upgrading / Apper are because I didn't
activate the new kernel?

   * But, that wouldn't explain the problem with they first problematic
upgrade, which was the kernel...

Thanks for any clarification you can add...