Hi,

I'm wondering which is the best way to start exim4. I'm fetching my mail
from my ISP with fetchmail manually with a script because I only want to
do it when I am connected to internet.

As I see it there are 3 alternatives, but if anybody can come up with a
4:th please tell me.

1) Starting exim as a daemon in /etc/rc$.d and protecting it with
iptables and binding it to localhost in exim.conf.

2) Starting with inetd and using tcpd for protection and using
/etc/hosts.allow and .deny to bind it to localhost. (Possibly using
iptables here to to get defence in depth?)

3) Installing xinetd and using it's wrappers and the bind command to
bind it to localhost. (Also using iptables to get defence in depth)

As I only fetch mail with fetchmail I only get sporadic use of exim4 so
there is not really any point in having it listening all the time and
this speaks for (x)inetd. It might be easier to DOS the (x)inetd setup,
which speaks for 1) (I don't know if this is really true...).

What are your thoughts about this? Which is the best way to do things?

Thank you in advance!

/Jimmy