On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 04:23:04PM -0500, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> I'm paranoid about server daemons, and I only need exim4 for local mail
> delivery. ?So I use a combination of all of the above:

Sounds like you are at least as paranoid as I am! :-)

> - use iptables to block external access.
> - use xinetd to invoke exim4, and block external access again in
> /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}. ?(exim4 also runs every 15 minutes on a cron
> job, though.)
> - bind to localhost in the config file.

That looks like what I want to setup, I just have to read some more
about iptables.

> No problems so far (that I know of). ?I don't know anything about a
> potential DOS.

I think it was in exim-doc that I read that it is safer to start exim
as a daemon to protect against DOS-attacks. exim-doc is not installed on
this computer because it runs sendmail, and I'm not root here so I will
check this when I get home...

/Jimmy